Sunday 18 April 2010

DVD heaven

I'm not sure what it is about foreign language films that I like but when I go to the Fopp media store in Nottingham or FNAC in France I just can't help myself being magnetically pulled to the display to see if anything floats my bateau.. I think it all started with visits to the old Metro arts cinema in Derby when I was a twenty year old and on going. I think that the films often have a style of their own visually and story wise that appeals to the artist-writer and traveller in me. These days I am often found at the Broadway cinema in Nottingham where I can enjoy such films with other people and I have a moveable feast of foreign dvds at home to enjoy. Plus, I subscribe to Love Film and get my fix of various titles that I can't afford to buy through that postal system.

Some people aren't keen on sub-titles but I certainly prefer them to the awful dubbed films of the 1970s and 1980s.


The World Cinema display at Fopp.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought the Besson film Angel-A last week, after seeing some extracts on Youtube. Looks a good film, especially in black and white. Don't know when I'll get to watch it though, as I spend too much time on the PC.

Unknown said...

Angel-A is superb. Do watch it.